In this video, explore the context building block. Learn how to consider timing, location, and relationships when crafting a message.
- Communication never happens in a vacuum.…Location, timing, and relationships are all part…of our third communication building block, the context.…In real estate you hear the mantra…location, location, location.…And it matters for communication too.…You've probably felt how different the dynamic is…when your team works together in the standard old…conference room versus a time when you worked…at some fun offsite location.…One of our clients, Julia, had to deliver…some bad news about a benefits cut…to a number of different business units.…
She made good location choices.…She decided to deliver this news in person,…even though that meant a lot of travel for her.…And she made sure that each meeting would be held…in a quiet conference room to avoid distractions.…What she didn't factor in were timing and relationships.…By the time she reached her fourth or fifth site visit,…the news had already spread,…and people were a step ahead of her.…One team leader had a long positive relationship…with the senior leadership team.…
- Recall the four pillars of a business scenario.
- Explore the term 'people' in the context of a communication scenario.
- Recall how the Think, Feel, Do model applies to a communication scenario.
- Identify the parts of the message in a communication scenario.
- Recognize the 'channel' in a communication scenario.
- Apply the importance of context in a communication event.
- Review the most important components of listening.