Learn about how change, even when good, is scary for the workforce and thus fears must be addressed. Learn about the phases people go through during change, and tips for communication during each phase.
- Think of a change that you recently experienced…but that's entirely behind you now.…It could be a personal or a professional one,…but it must be behind you.…Now pull out a piece of paper and do this exercise with me.…First, remember back to how life was before the change.…Write down some ideas about what you were thinking…and feeling before the change.…Go ahead, pause the video for a minute.…Now, once the change started to occur,…at the beginning phases of it,…how were you feeling?…Pause the video and write down your thoughts,…feelings, and reactions there as it began to set in.…
Next, think about the change…as it was more than half over.…Write down your feelings then.…Finally, once the change passed and was over,…write down your thoughts, feelings, and reactions.…Can you see some distinctions…in how you changed throughout the process?…Well, your employees are going to go…through those four phases too, so let's review them.…Before you ever even mention change,…your workforce is in a place of comfort and control.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining a negative workplace
- The ROI of a positive workplace
- Conducting an employee survey
- Creating a vision for change
- Building a strategic plan
- Using your performance management system
- Leading change