Discover how to get feedback about your reputation and find out how others see you. How does everyone else see you? You have to ask! What’s your reputation? This video will discuss why we avoid getting feedback, even when we know we need it.
- [Instructor] People today seem to crave feedback.…We wear fitness trackers to monitor our heart rates…and to see how much distance we walk in a way.…We get immediate digital alerts from the stock exchange.…We check social media to see how many likes we have…on our latest post.…It seems like everyone wants to know…how am I doing,…and yet when it comes to our professional reputations,…many people are reluctant to find out…what others really think.…We may want to learn and grow,…but we also want to be accepted just the way we are.…
It's definitely a dilemma.…I understand that feedback can be awkward…and even uncomfortable,…but here's the thing.…You can't effectively manage your blind spots…and accelerate your career…if you don't have accurate ongoing feedback…about your reputation.…What kind of experiences do you give to people around you?…You can make an educated guess,…but there's only one way to get the truth.…You have to ask.…Don't panic.…You've already developed the ideal perceptions…you want to create in the workplace…
Instructor Sara Canaday dives into the nuances of blind spots, explaining why blind spots matter when it comes to career success, and which intangible skills can help you find and eliminate these roadblocks. Sara also covers ways to find and close the gaps between your perception of yourself and your reputation. She explores specific examples of leadership blind spots commonly seen in the business world and provides steps that you can take to mitigate your perception problems.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding blind spots
- Gaining insights about awareness skills
- Identifying and managing blind spots
- Getting clarity on how you see yourself
- Finding out how others see you
- Closing the gaps between your perception and your reputation
- Exploring specific examples of leadership blind spots
- Taking action to deal with your blind spots