Opinion leaders and front line supervisors should be enlisted as senders when communicating change. Effective change agents anticipate everyone who will be affected by certain changes.
- Okay, I'm convinced, where do I begin?…- Well effective communicators always…ask themselves five important questions.…Who?…Why?…When?…How?…And what?…- You're kidding me, right?…I mean, that's like what a journalist is going to ask.…- That's actually a great way to remember the questions.…So you start with who.…Who should I be sending the message to…and who should be the sender of the message?…- Well, I'll be the sender.…
- Probably, but most likely, not all alone.…- Really?…- Really, but hold that thought.…Let's start with who needs to hear about the new system.…- Well right away I'd think of the people…on my team that are mostly influenced.…We have John.…John has been with us a long time…and another thing is he supervises people…in the call center, so whatever we change…he's going to have to communicate.…There's Carlos.…Carlos came on in the acquisition of that other company,…so he just has gone through a big change initiative.…
John, Carlos uh Lauren.…Lauren is definitely very, very beloved by everyone…on the staff, so we need her onboard and ...…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance