A change agent needs to carefully construct the content of each message.
- So the one thing we didn't talk about…in that whole journalistic and who and when,…and why and how, was the what exactly I need to communicate?…- A good place to start is by answering…the five most pressing questions people…have during times of change.…Here, they want to know what exactly is the change,…what will be different.…They want to know why are we making this change,…and then they're concerned about how does this…affect me personally, like what's my…new day-to-day going to look like?…People wonder, how will I know if I'm doing alright?…And they want to know, what kind of support can I count on?…- That's pretty straightforward.…
I can think of those five.…- Yeah, it is.…Just remember that when you're answering the five questions…that you want to be as concrete as possible.…Avoid abstract words like streamlined.…Instead of saying, we're going to streamline things,…say we will be cutting out some non-essential steps.…- [Tatiana] And I should be very specific on…what steps we're cutting out, right?…- Absolutely, if you know those steps already.…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance