What triggers anger? In this video, Marlene Chism helps you understand what happens when you get triggered, and how to get to the root of your triggers.
- Once, when having a discussion with a friend,…I rolled my eyes in disagreement with something she said.…To my shock, she blew up.…"You think you're so superior.…"You're such a know-it-all," she said.…Her response shocked me.…Seemed over the top and out of proportion.…I had unintentionally tripped one of her triggers.…Everyone has triggers but most of us…don't really understand what's going on.…So, let's talk about what's going on inside your body…when you get triggered,…how a trigger manifests on the surface,…and let's explore the root cause of a trigger.…
Then, I'll give you a formula to help you…dissect one of your triggers.…When you get triggered, your emotional brain…hijacks your thinking brain.…This almond shaped structure, called the amygdala,…floods your body with hormones that stimulates…a fight or flight response.…You literally lose your rational mind.…And it can take 20 minutes or longer to come to your senses.…On the surface, the trigger manifests as a person,…a behavior, or a situation.…Could be your mother or it could be an irritating coworker,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Acknowledging an anger problem
- Using calming techniques
- Avoiding other people's issues
- Understanding your triggers and old behaviors
- Mastering your narrative and taking control
- Setting appropriate boundaries
- Making anger work for you