Join Lisa Gates for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know before watching, part of Coaching for Results.
- To get the most out of this course, I want to make sure we're all starting from the same foundation. If you're just beginning your work as a manager coach, I recommend that you watch my course Coaching and Developing Employees for two reasons. One, it'll give you the essential skills and tools to start coaching with your people. And two, as you go through this course, I'll be referring to things like the Grow Model, powerful questions, active listening, and letting your employee lead. All of that and more is covered in Coaching and Developing Employees.
I also recommend watching Britt Andreatta's course, Delegating Tasks to Your Team. Now, here's why. The bulk of your day-to-day coaching opportunities live in the land of delegation. And for delegation to be successful, it has to come with coaching, not micromanaging. It's great to assign a task to make your load lighter while also producing results, but it's even better if the things you delegate help your people increase their autonomy. And this takes practice.
Now, speaking of practice, I'll be talking about your coaching work with people as a practice. And as a coach, I have a practice full of clients. I'm practicing and evolving all the time. It's the same for you. The people or team you manage is your practice. So, watch both courses to compliment and deepen what you're learning in this course, and let's get started producing results for you, your people, and your organization.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List three strategies to assess an individual for coachability.
- Identify the essential elements of a coaching contract.
- Recall the three levels of accountability.
- Distinguish among the three levels of listening.
- Summarize strategies for coaching a low-performance employee.
- Summarize strategies for coaching a high-performance employee.