Strengths are your gifts, loves, and skills.
- One of the wonderful things about our world is that we have almost limitless opportunities. There are so many things that we can do, especially when it comes to our careers. However, this great blessing of flexibility can also be a curse. Most of us struggle with figuring out where to best focus our attention. This can result in wasted time and energy if a person jumps from career to career. Personally, it's something that I did for many years until I finally understood who I was and focused on my strengths.
When I use the word strength, I have a very specific definition. A strength, as I'll use the term in this course, is made up of three things, your gifts, your loves, and your skills. Your gifts are the talents that have come naturally to you from the beginning, almost from birth. These are usually areas where you do better than other people that have always seemed effortless to you. The next part of a strength is what I call loves.
Meaning, something you're passionate about doing. This is the kind of work that, when you do it, time flies by because you're having so much fun. And finally, skills. Skills represent the knowledge and capability that you've acquired over time. Skills can come from education, mentorship, or on-the-job training. When you combine gifts, loves, and skills together you have a strength. Think of one person you know who is both happy and successful in their career.
Most likely, they have a natural gift for what they do, they love doing it, and they have also worked hard and studied to improve their skills over time. They've found their strength, and they are using it in a way the world market finds valuable. Throughout this course, I'll be asking you to fill out worksheets to help you discover your strengths. I suggest you download these worksheets now and print them out. You'll then be prepared for the many moments during this course when I guide you through completing these worksheets.
Now, let's get started.
- Identify the key differences between gifts, loves, and skills.
- Explore methods for discovering what you love to do.
- Identify your core skills through self-reflection and via feedback from others.
- Choose your strongest and most valuable work activities through ranking and rating.
- Identify the steps needed to invest in yourself and grow your strengths.
- Recall how to match your strengths to your responsibilities, and discover when to grow your current career versus switch to a new one.