Let's be honest: some people are just annoying. Here's how to listen to them with patience and grace.
- One reason why it can be hard to listen,…let's be honest,…is that sometimes you're listening to someone…who's annoying.…It can be really difficult to summon the patience…and grace we need.…But here's some techniques to keep in mind.…If the person is boring,…it's often because they're passionate about a subject…you are not interested in.…If that's the case,…you can try to switch the conversation slightly…so you can connect with that passion.…Ask them how did you get interested in this?…And what makes you love this field?…That will probably be more interesting…than an in depth discussion of its minutiae.…
If the person is repetitive,…it may be because they don't believe you heard them…the first time.…You can often get them to stop…by restating their point and letting them know you heard it…and telling them the action plan.…I understand you're requesting time off next month…from the 13th to the 18th.…And I'll check with Barbara tomorrow morning…to confirm that's okay.…The person might be annoying because they're angry.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Describe common challenges to listening.
- Identify signs of poor listening.
- List effective strategies to recapture attention.
- Adopt the mindset of listening.
- Outline the structure of meaningful listening.
- Describe how to keep yourself from interrupting.
- Explain how to let someone know you've heard them.