What is a culture of service? Not indentured servitude to the customer. This culture engages everyone in the direction of customer impact. It drives emotional engagement, innovation, and commitment.
- Before we dive in, let's talk about what having a culture of service really means. We know great customer service is imperative for success, but creating a culture of service internally is a little bit different. It goes deeper and further than simply responding well to customers. It's about unifying your team in the service of something bigger than yourself. A lot of good customer service is reactive. A culture of service is proactive. It's when every person in your organization views their role through the lens of customer impact.
Customer impact is more than keeping customers satisfied. It's having a culture of service throughout your organization, which then impacts your customers' lives. It's like when the Ritz-Carlton says, we are Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen. They're elevating their customers, and even the people who work in maintenance know their role is to elevate the customers. Even if your company makes widgets, you can create a culture of service by unifying everyone around that customer, even in non-customer facing roles.
Unifying everyone around the customer inspires action, innovation, and emotional engagement. Emotionally engaged employees are more helpful, supportive, and happier. They do a better job. The emphasis on customer impact will help people in your organization keep the big picture in mind. You'll need to start by painting a compelling picture of your customer, then align your behaviors and processes. As a leader, you'll need to be open about why you care about the business, your clients, and why you want your team to care too.
A culture of service is not a sentence to indentured servitude to customers. It's the opposite. It's about being empowered to have a real impact on customers. It doesn't mean you have to say yes to everything, and it certainly doesn't mean you won't have a bad day. A culture of service is about uniting your team in the service of something bigger than yourselves and creating the energy, motivation, and drive that helps you excel together.
- What is a culture of service?
- Cultivating an emotional connection to your customers
- Generating engagement by sharing your backstory
- Framing financials and objectives
- Unpacking your metrics
- How to use a culture of service in hiring and firing
- Reinforcing a culture of service in daily operations