Understand the basic concept and components of these hidden career de-railers. In this video Sara Canady explains the full concept of blind spots, revieww the nuances, and discusses why blind spots really matter for career success.
- We all know that blind spots when driving…can lead to unintended mishaps and expensive damages.…The same can be said for blind spots in your career,…which is why it's so important to be aware of them.…So what exactly are professional blind spots?…Here are five things you need to know.…First, blind spots occur when our intentions…and perceptions don't match.…In other words, when there's a disconnect…between what we believe we're projecting…and how others actually experience us.…There are hidden gaps and because of those gaps,…our professional reputations are not what we imagine.…
That's how promising careers suddenly get derailed…with no apparent explanation.…Think about the people in your office…who tend to misjudge some of their own attributes.…There's a fine line between confident and arrogant,…between intelligent and condescending,…between innovative and rebellious.…Ever had to work with people who…regularly crossed those lines?…Perhaps they took their positive traits,…ones they had been rewarded for in the past,…
Instructor Sara Canaday dives into the nuances of blind spots, explaining why blind spots matter when it comes to career success, and which intangible skills can help you find and eliminate these roadblocks. Sara also covers ways to find and close the gaps between your perception of yourself and your reputation. She explores specific examples of leadership blind spots commonly seen in the business world and provides steps that you can take to mitigate your perception problems.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding blind spots
- Gaining insights about awareness skills
- Identifying and managing blind spots
- Getting clarity on how you see yourself
- Finding out how others see you
- Closing the gaps between your perception and your reputation
- Exploring specific examples of leadership blind spots
- Taking action to deal with your blind spots