Learn strategies that can help you hone and master your interpersonal communication skills. Discover how to get your message across effectively in the workplace and overcome common communication challenges.
- It's ironic, but the more technology becomes a part of our everyday lives, emailing people all the time, interacting on social media, doing conference calls, and webinars, the more our interpersonal communication skills become critical. That's because there's more room for misunderstanding when we're not communicating face to face. And frankly, we have less practice getting it right than we did in the past when we didn't have any other options. So, if you can hone and master your interpersonal communication skills, it gives you a major competitive advantage in today's workplace.
I'm Dorie Clark. I teach for Duke University's Fuqua School of Business, and I'm the author of Reinventing You, and Stand Out, as well as a former presidential campaign spokesperson, where I learned firsthand the importance of getting every word right. We'll start by covering common, but important situations, where communication challenges might arise. First, with your colleagues, and then with your supervisor. We'll round things out with a discussion of how to communicate effectively in tricky situations. The ones that often trip up even seasoned communicators, like cross-cultural communications, or how to deal with someone who constantly interrupts you.
I'm excited to share these insights, and more, with you. Let's get started.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Communicating with your colleagues
- When to use the phone or send an email
- Interpreting nonverbal cues
- Asking your boss the right questions
- Knowing when to listen and when to speak
- Communicating in tricky situations
- Handling an interruption
- Responding to critical feedback
- How to communicate as an introvert