Is the job you're currently in a match for your strengths? Here's a quick method to list out all the responsibilities you have.
- If you want to match your strengths…with your current career,…it's important to understand…the responsibilities your job requires.…If you're currently not employed,…this video will still help you prepare…for your next position.…Think of a job like ordering a pizza.…If the pizza arrives and the toppings are wrong,…you're going to be a little surprised…and probably upset.…Well, it's the same with your employer and customers.…They have a list of responsibilities,…either written or in their head,…that they want you to fulfill.…
If you're going to deliver on what they expect,…it's critical to understand those expectations in advance.…There are three sources where we can get this information.…The first is a job description,…which is a documented list of all the things…you're expected to do in your position.…Second, ask your employer directly.…Do this even if there is a written job description.…Verify that the written document…matches the unwritten expectations.…
The third source takes a bit more work, but it's worth it.…
- Identify the key differences between gifts, loves, and skills.
- Explore methods for discovering what you love to do.
- Identify your core skills through self-reflection and via feedback from others.
- Choose your strongest and most valuable work activities through ranking and rating.
- Identify the steps needed to invest in yourself and grow your strengths.
- Recall how to match your strengths to your responsibilities, and discover when to grow your current career versus switch to a new one.