Learn to respond to a poor performance review, a rejection of your ideas, or other bad news and negative feedback. Practice responding to criticism using empathy, yes-and, and asking questions to move a critical conversation toward a productive solution.
- To move ourselves away from defensive responses…when we face criticism or pushback,…let's practice writing both…defensive and effective responses.…Comparing the two will help us…to always land on the right response.…Let's imagine you're a recruiter,…and at the board meeting, one member says to you,…"You've only filled 85% of the open positions this quarter."…what would a defensive response sound like?…Pause the video and think of your reply…if you were to miss the mark.…
Did your defensive response sound something like,…"I'm doing the best I can.…"I've tried this and that."…or maybe you said, "Well,…"if you would approve better salaries,…"I could make stronger offers."…Those are defensive and accusatory.…What would your excellent communication reply sound like?…Try to express gratitude for the feedback.…Use empathy.…Try "Yes, and."…Okay, pause, and give it your best shot.…
How did this one go?…Your board member said, "You've only filled…"85% of the open spots."…Did you say something like,…"Yes, and I know how frustrating that is to all of us.…
- Recall the four pillars of a business scenario.
- Explore the term 'people' in the context of a communication scenario.
- Recall how the Think, Feel, Do model applies to a communication scenario.
- Identify the parts of the message in a communication scenario.
- Recognize the 'channel' in a communication scenario.
- Apply the importance of context in a communication event.
- Review the most important components of listening.
Skill Level Beginner
Organization Communicationwith Brenda Bailey-Hughes1h 20m Intermediate
1. The Four Communication Building Blocks
2. Communication for Common Situations
3. Communication for Challenging Situations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.