Examine how the time value of money relates to loans or investments, and how planning and action now have predictable consequences for the future.
- Let's do a little thought experiment.…- Okay.…- Imagine that you are a three-year-old child.…- [ Man With Glasses] Okay I've got it.…I'm a three-year-old child.…I'll imagine that I'm my granddaughter Evie.…She's three.…- [Man Without Glasses] Perfect.…I offer you one piece of chocolate now…or one piece of chocolate tomorrow.…Which will you take?…- Please.…I'll take the chocolate now.…- Exactly.…Any child understands what I will call…the time value of candy.…Candy now is worth more than candy in the future.…What if I offer you one piece of chocolate now…or five pieces if you wait until tomorrow?…- A three-year-old would probably still take…the one piece right now.…
- I agree.…For such a young child, the future…is such a vague and unpredictable place…that it makes sense to take your candy now.…In fact, an important part of growing up…is learning that planning and action now…have predictable consequences for the future.…So, let's change the example.…Imagine that you are you.…I offer you the following deal:…100 pieces of chocolate now…
In this course, join accounting professors Jim and Kay Stice as they help you discover how to leverage the power of numbers to approach businesses problems and make everyday decisions. They explore the power of ratios and percentages, how to monitor and evaluate your budget, how to forecast the timing and amount of a business loan, and much more.
- The power of ratios and percentages
- Growth rates, rule of 72, and extrapolation
- Financial ratios to determine unpaid inventory
- How to convert to percentages
- Variance and the concept of risk
- Numerical planning and everyday decisions
- Creating, monitoring, and evaluating your budget
- Forecasting the timing and amount of a business loan
- The power of compound interest
- Loan payments and interest rates
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Profitable Business: Understanding Financial Ratioswith Jim Stice2h 13m Appropriate for all
Accounting Foundations: Bookkeepingwith Jim Stice1h 27m Beginner
1. The Power of Ratios and Percentages
2. Applied Probability and Statistics
3. Numerical Planning and Measurement
4. Interest: Paying and Earning
5. The Art of Numerical Estimation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.