Emotional appeal can be built through the use of story or narrative
- Story.…So, you mean like success stories,…or the story that I told…to the group about the gal that lost her job?…That kind of story?…- Either, both, it's just that stories resonate with people.…Do you remember a story that maybe your mom read to you…as a little girl?…- Yeah, a lot.…And she even wrote stories for my brother and I.…- [Long-Haired Woman] And you remember these?…- Yeah.…- Okay, do you remember the sales figures…that we talked about yesterday?…- No. (laughs)…Do you?…- No, and neither does anyone else.…
Even though those are way more relevant to our lives…than some childhood story,…but stories stick in our memories.…- You're right, I can't think of one keynote speech…that I've heard, or one TED speaker that I've watched,…that has just stuck to facts and figures.…I mean there's always a story attached to it…that makes you think back.…- Yes, it makes you remember it, and it proves the point.…Stories help build the credibility of a claim…more than just data alone.…
And I can always point to a story…when I look at a successful organizational change.…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance