Communication is ranked as the number one factor contributing to success or failure of change efforts.
- Remember when our corporate headquarters…moved across town?…Now, our leaders did an amazing job…of communicating that change.…People were excited about the change,…instead of mad about it.…Our customers could find us, after the move.…That day we all showed up with our boxes,…our technology was all working.…That was a great change communication effort.…Another success just happened last month…when we went through all those changes…to our healthcare and the benefits package.…- You're right.…HR did a stellar job, I mean, benefits is complicated…and they even posted that newsletter…and they had the graphs of what you had before…and what your package changed to.…
I give 'em that, yeah.…- They also set up a help line,…they had a FAQ on the website,…it was pretty phenomenal effort.…- Yeah, but both of those examples…are neutral or positive ones, right?…What happens when a leader has to communicate bad news,…like layoffs that we hear about.…- Amazingly I have seen some companies…come through that with their employee loyalty intact…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance