The Strategic Planning function has some quantitative measures you can use to evaluate performance; but more commonly, it is qualitative assessments that are used to evaluate the group. You can evaluate their acquisition pipeline and their effectiveness in managing deal flow. Qualitatively, you can assess how rigorous their strategic plans are and, through retrospective analysis, you can evaluate how accurately they've predicted changes in the market in prior strategic plans.
- Most large organizations have…a true strategic planning function.…The strategic planning function,…which is part of firm infrastructure in the value chain,…has some quantitative measures you can use…to evaluate their performance.…But more commonly, it's qualitative assessments…that are used to evaluate the group.…Evaluate the team's acquisition pipeline…and their deal flow.…This group identifies and assesses acquisition targets.…They can also be responsible for conducting acquisitions…and integrating them after they've been bought.…
Measure the size of the pipeline,…the number of deals they're evaluating,…and how well their acquisitions perform…compared to the financial expectations the team set…pre-acquisition.…I've been part of several strategic planning groups.…In a few of them, we were doing a lot of deals.…The way we were assessed was, how big is the pipeline?…How many possible acquisition targets have we identified?…We were assessed on how many of them…were we able to get to a deal stage?…When we did a deal, we were evaluated on…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List the main purposes of measurement.
- Define value chain.
- Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative measurements.
- Identify common measurement reporting tools.
- Describe how to measure R&D innovation and product development performance.
- List good measurements of strategic planning, financial planning, and legal performance.
- Explain measurement processes and best practices.