Per the advice of coaching expert Michael Bungay Stanier, it's important for managers to stay curious longer and not immediately jump to conclusions or prescribe a course of action. That allows you to stay adaptable in the moment as more facts emerge.
- Adaptability is an overarching strategic skill.…But if you're an adaptable manager,…you also manifest your adaptability moment to moment…in daily life.…You're not operating from a script…and you don't always know the answers.…One of the most crucial skills for an adaptable manager…according to coaching expert…and author Michael Bugni Stayner,…is the ability to stay curious longer…and not immediately jump to conclusions or prescribe…a course of action.…That allows you to stay adaptable in the moment…as more facts emerge.…
Here's how to do it.…First, there's a human tendency to jump on solutions…and try to resolve problems quickly.…And that's only exacerbated if you're a manager.…After all, if you're in charge, you often feel pressure…to prove that you know what you're doing.…But according to Bugni Stayner, the best thing you can do…is to resist that impulse.…It often takes more time to fully understand the situation.…And you can make things worse if you pre-judge the facts…or don't consider all the possible alternatives.…
Looking for study partners?Join the New People Managers study group
The business world is changing faster than ever, with digital transformation and disruption everywhere. Being adaptable is a foundational skill for managers, which enables them to respond to change in positive, resilient ways and seize new opportunities. Join author and professor Dorie Clark, as she introduces strategies for becoming a more adaptable leader. Learn how to monitor for change in order to better prepare for it, hone your skills, and create a more adaptable team that is innovative and responsive to change.
- Identify three elements that enable managers to be adaptable in the midst of growth.
- Recognize examples of four purposes of feedback.
- Summarize a strategy that managers use to create an environment where employees feel safe to take risks.
- Explain the approach to take as an adaptable manager when working with various types of employees.
- Recall the characteristics of a curious, adaptable manager.