Goal setting is a core element of executing your strategy. Clearly define the targets for the team so they'll know when they've achieved success. The goals can be tied to financial or operational outcomes as well as to completion of key initiatives. Putting these goals out there lets people know what's important and where their efforts should focus even for small, day-to-day actions they take.
- Most people I know are pretty goal-oriented.…You can benefit from that natural tendency…if you can tie that behavior to achieving your strategy.…Goal setting is a core element of executing your strategy.…Clearly define the targets for the team,…so they'll know when they've achieved success.…Goals can be tied to financial or operational outcomes.…You can also tie goals to the completion of key initiatives.…Goals should ladder up to more strategic goals,…so people can see how their efforts…drive the bigger strategy you've put in place.…
Putting these goals out there lets people know…what's important and where their effort should focus,…even for small, day-to-day actions they may take.…One organization I worked for had field technicians.…We tied their individual daily production goals…to their branch goals.…Those branch goals were then tied to the division's goals.…And those division goals tied…to the corporate strategic goals.…The goals all laddered up from the bottom…all the way to the highest level.…
Our technicians knew my daily production matters,…
- List the primary components of strategy.
- Set and communicate strategic priorities.
- Define culture.
- Evaluate and run ideas in a prioritization process.
- Identify how to measure progress and performance.
- Explain how to maintain focus and eliminate distractions.
- Describe key processes for building a culture of strategy execution.