Learn what a boundary is, and how to implement and stick to a boundary. Many anger problems are because the person does not know how to set and keep a boundary.
- One day I told my husband,…"if you don't clean up your desk,…I'm not going to cook!"…Well, he's still messy, and I'm still cooking.…I set a boundary, he crossed the boundary,…I failed to enforce the boundary,…and I'm the one who's angry.…Anger is often a sign that a boundary has been crossed.…So let's talk about what a boundary is,…why your boundaries aren't working,…and how to make boundaries stick.…So what is a boundary?…A boundary is a line in the sand where you control…the consequences.…
You tell your employees,…if you steal from the company, you'll be fired.…You tell your teenagers, if you abuse curfew,…I will take away your phone.…You tell your friend, I will no longer answer the door…when you stop by unannounced.…You tell them 1,000 times, but nothing works.…That means you allowed the unwanted behavior 999 times!…You didn't fire the thief,…you let the kids keep their phones,…and you kept answering the door,…or, like me, you kept cooking.…Here's why your boundaries aren't working.…
Number one, lack of enforcement.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Acknowledging an anger problem
- Using calming techniques
- Avoiding other people's issues
- Understanding your triggers and old behaviors
- Mastering your narrative and taking control
- Setting appropriate boundaries
- Making anger work for you