Learn how reflection can help to build self-awareness. Use the Reflection tool to help you build a reflection process to enhance self-awareness now and in the future.
- It's all very well understanding self-awareness and key concepts that can help you develop in this area, but when it comes to applying strategies to enhance self-awareness, you need practical tips. The first strategy you should start with is creating the habit of reflection. Why is it we start here? There are two reasons. Firstly, this is the most simple self-awareness strategy you can use.
Secondly, you don't need to rely on anyone else to practice reflection. It's something you can do alone at any time. What is it I actually mean by reflection? It's taking the time and space to consider where you are, events that have happened around you and your feelings and thoughts. Whether you're feeling fairly positive or experiencing negative emotions, either way, reflection will help you to understand where you are right now and your role in the situation and what you can do to move forward.
You may want to print the reflection tool from the exercise files, or jot down some notes. Some people find it helpful to have a notepad dedicated to this exercise, so you can reflect on what you've written over time. If you look at the reflection tool document, you'll see a blank wheel. For every section, write an area of your life that's important to you. As an example, you may want to focus on areas such as career, finance or relationships.
This list will be completely personal to you. The key is to include areas of your life that are important to you right now. Next, for each segment, on a scale of one to ten, rate how satisfied you are with that part of your life. One would be not satisfied at all. Ten would be extremely satisfied. Now join the lines up to see how balanced your reflection wheel is.
The chances are, you'll be satisfied in some areas of your life and not others. The final step is to reflect on what you want to change and how you can do this. You may want to enhance a specific relationship. So how would you go about doing this? Maybe you'll ask that person for feedback on what's working and not working in the relationship. Perhaps you can make an effort to see that person more frequently. Maybe you need to let other parts of your wheel slide a little to enhance your relationship, creating more balance.
Write down or fill in the box, stating what you'd like to change. Next, write down the steps you'll take to achieve this change. Finally, note how you'll know when you've started to make progress. What will that look like for you? Reflection is an important step in building self-awareness. You can create a reflection habit by using this strategy frequently. So now it's over to you to build your reflection habit.
I encourage you to complete this exercise once a month so you get a really good sense of how you're feeling about different aspects of your life.
- Identifying beliefs to enhance self-awareness
- Stepping outside of yourself
- Self-awareness strategies
- Reflecting and enhancing self-awareness
- Identifying the ripple effect
- Managing stress
- Seeking feedback to boost self-awareness
- Choosing your self-awareness strategies
- Top tips for self-awareness success