Spending time and money on developing yourself is important. Most people don't work on themselves. It's important to read books and then act on it; only reading isn't enough. Act on what you already know.
- If you're going to do something that involves for example, selling or negotiating or managing people, then it's a good idea to actually study those skill upfront. Most sales people I meet have never been on a sales course and never read a book on it, which is amazing. Ideally, they'd read at least one book on selling per year, probably several. So it's important to spend some time on self-development and also some money. Considering how much money we spend on holidays and how important our job income is, it's bizarre how little people spend on self-development, books, and training courses.
Most people spend nothing on themselves. They get a little bit of training from their employer and that's it. The self help book industry is pretty large though. It's a big shelf in any bookshop. But I wonder how many people act on those books they read? I suspect that the people who read the books mostly don't do what the books say. And the people who are doing things mostly haven't read the books. So maybe there are just a few who've read the books and are doing it and they are the successful ones.
Maybe only 1% of people who read a book about success go on and do it all. All the other 99% of readers are hoping for an easier way, hoping that if they can try yet another book, it might have the magic answer, the easy answer. Well, the truth is that you just have to do the work. Although actually I think it's more messy than that. Some people do everything they learn, some do nothing, and many people just pick parts of the book. And then there isn't a 100% link with that and success.
Certainly the more you read and the more you put into practice, the more likely you are to benefit. But it's not guaranteed. Have a look at this diagram. Reading plus doing plus luck is fantastic. Reading and doing even without luck is still gonna be pretty good. Brilliant luck without the skills from reading and doing is gonna be rare and never going to be a really successful outcome. And no skills and average luck won't cut it at all. So in the end, the moral is that if you read regularly and then do as much as you can from each book, certainly make notes and take action, you're much more likely to succeed.
Especially if the things that you do are difficult so that most other people are unlikely to be doing them. So what is the knowledge that you need? What are the books that you need to read? The subjects that you need to be great at. And how much time are you prepared to put aside for those? And crucially, what do you already know that you aren't yet acting upon?