Join Tatiana Kolovou for an in-depth discussion in this video Putting it all together, part of Building Resilience.
- "Where there is no struggle there is no strength." A memorable quote by Oprah Winfrey, America's television personality, entrepreneur, philanthropist, and producer who grew up in a childhood of poverty and abuse in rural Mississippi. Resilience and the strength it involves is not learned by reading a book or sitting in a classroom training. It's learned by practicing again and again in the trenches of everyday life. In the beginning of this course you identified where you stood with your resilience capacity in any given situation.
That's when we looked at stress and coping skills. We talked about recognizing a holding pattern of resilience that could rise to a higher threshold when adversity hits. If you remember we envisioned a challenging event as an athletic event. You prepared for it before it happens and then reflect after you have experienced it. Your preparation needs to happen during a quiet time of events. When stress is low it's easy to practice the resilience threshold raising skills of facing rejection, learning something new, facing difficult situations or keeping your internal language positive, and managing your energy.
With the help of the exercise files I guide you through each strategy. Now it's up to you to do the work. After the stressful event has occurred it's time to raise your resilience threshold by reflecting on it. Use the exercise files again but promise me that you will have something very specific in mind to work with. Evaluate your action. Again, keep your attitude positive as you reflect. Get feedback from your advisory board. Step away, take a break from the situation.
And finally determine if you need to put the experience behind you. Like you I'm still in training with these strategies. Raising your resilience threshold is a work in progress, and training has to happen in the trenches. Keep doing the work and you're bound to become more resilient.
- Define the term resilience.
- Identify strategies for facing rejection in your day to day life.
- Recognize the skills you can practice to increase your resilience.
- Explore reflection strategies you can use during a situation in order to build resilience.
- Examine five post-event resilience building strategies using real-world examples.