When people behave in a manner inconsistent with the culture, it's critical to catch and correct those behaviors early. Letting bad behaviors slide can be corrosive. It undermines your credibility when you say culture is important but you let people behave in a manner that runs counter to that culture. Take immediate corrective action.
- When people behave in a manner inconsistent…with a culture, it's critical to correct…those behaviors early.…Letting bad behavior slide can be corrosive.…It undermines your credibility…when you say culture's important…but you let people behave in a manner…that runs counter to that culture.…None of us likes to be the bad guy…so we shy away from punishment…but sometimes it's warranted.…Some people need to be moved to new roles, demoted,…taken out of leadership roles or even fired.…
It doesn't happen often, but when it needs to happen,…the organization takes notice.…Leaving someone in place who needs to be removed…because they violate cultural norms is poisonous.…Everyone knows the person should face consequences.…When they see nothing happen, they conclude…you're more interested in results than culture.…They'll believe there are no consequences for misbehavior.…That can lead to more misbehavior…or good people who support the culture are going…to leave the organization.…
If you take swift action when necessary,…it sends a strong message and discourages…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Components of high-performing cultures
- Assessing your current culture
- Defining high performance
- Creating a compelling vision and mission
- Tying strategy to culture
- Communicating the culture
- Building your teams and processes
- Highlighting culture moments
- Providing regular feedback