Learn what to share and what to stay quiet about. As a leader, discretion matters and openness about everything is never appropriate.
- As a manager, one of your responsibilities…is sharing information about changes with your team.…Here's a dilemma you often face during a change.…You know things or feel things that you can't share.…What if you knew that half your team…was being moved to a new manager…as part of a re-organization?…You feel disappointed because the team was just starting…to really work well together.…You know that the disruption from the move…will slow down a key project so you're frustrated…and you do not agree with the move.…
Based on what I just told you,…what would you share with your team?…Nothing until the time is right.…I'd like to encourage you to carefully consider…open communication in the context of your role as a manager.…So what is the purpose of open communication during change?…It creates awareness and acceptance about the change.…It helps others adjust to change.…And it facilitates compliance or commitment to the change.…
What about oversharing or inappropriate sharing?…Oversharing or inappropriate sharing can create resistance…
- Define and describe the change curve.
- Describe how leaders can either facilitate or block successful change.
- Summarize ways to promote resilience during change.
- Explain how to use the power of positive and negative emotions to generate the emotion that creates change.
- Cite the different approaches to using language to manage change.
- Name the best way for a manager to help the team process change.
- Define a change vision.