View the course conclusion and next steps.
- Congratulations, you've made it through…the entire course on business development.…By now, you understand what business development is,…what it takes to be successful,…and how to build excellence in your department.…You also have some perspective on the lifecycle…of a typical business development relationship…and why it's so important to the longterm success…of many of the best companies.…What's next?…Now is the most important part, taking action.…
It doesn't matter if you're starting your career…in business development, building a team,…or striving to deepen…your organization's understanding and support.…What you do right now, will determine the value…you take with you from this course.…Invest some time every week in building your network,…both in your industry and in adjacent industries.…Join associations, attend conferences,…and reach out to friends and former colleagues.…You never know where a great new idea will be born.…
If you haven't already, start reading…at least one general business publication,…like Harvard Business Review, or Forbes,…
Business development teams identify areas of opportunity: new products, new markets, new partnerships, and new distribution channels. It's critical to start with clear objectives. Are you using business development (BD) as a marketing tool, a sales channel, a source of innovation, or a corporate development hub? Management consultant Robbie Kellman Baxter shows you how the best BD professionals identify and build momentum for new initiatives. She also gives you the insight you need to launch a BD function in your organization, explains how to manage a BD team, and shares how to scale the BD function as your opportunities grow.
- Define business development.
- Explain the purpose of business development.
- Distinguish business development from other functions.
- Identify the skills and personality requirements for a business development role.
- Measure business development performance.
- List options for organizing a business development team.
- Describe how to make business development relevant at the C-level.