Join Elizabeth Robillard for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Negotiating Your Leadership Success.
- As you've seen, advancing your career is a series…of negotiations.…Remember you can't get what you want…if you don't know what you want.…- You will need to use your leverage…to get your boss or others to the table…and make sure you have creative options to propose…and remember two are better than one.…- Open the negotiations collaboratively…but be prepared to turn moves that put you on the defensive.…- Hopefully you'll start to think about negotiating…at work as part of your work.…
The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be…at making important asks.…Whether you're looking for a flexible schedule,…a new role, a promotion, higher salary or more staff,…you now have the tools to negotiate successfully.…- The most important thing for you to do now is…to practice these techniques.…We call this negotiating next week.…- What would you like to change for yourself…at work right now?…It's time to prepare for that negotiation.…Identify what you want…and set a date to talk with your boss or your colleagues…about your proposals.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Review methods for avoiding common negotiation pitfalls.
- Determine what you really want.
- Clarify how and when to use your bargaining power.
- Recall strategies for making mutually beneficial agreements.
- Recognize ways to anticipate potential responses.
- Use turns to respond and restore your position in a negotiation.