LinkedIn Learning is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
- Establish identity as a manager.
- Identify best practices for clarifying performance expectations.
- List effective communication tips.
- Articulate the main elements of effective feedback.
- Define rapport.
- Distinguish types of decision-making styles.
- Signal fairness and integrity.
- Articulate how to best assert authority.
Skill Level Beginner
- You've just begun a new management position. Congratulations! You're probably excited and a little nervous. That's completely normal, so please allow me to put these things in perspective. Have you ever heard someone say that leaders are born, not made? That is absolutely incorrect. The good news is that leadership is a set of skills. With a little thoughtful preparation, it's a set of skills you can learn. I'll start by helping you understand how to immediately establish yourself as a leader and how to begin setting goals and expectations.
Next, we'll cover topics including building rapport with the team and what it means to earn trust and show respect. I'll also address several useful communication tips that will help you better connect with the team. Overall, I'll challenge you to be more than simply the new boss. I want you to be an authentic leader. When you've completed this course, you'll be ready to hit the ground running with the knowledge you need to successfully complete the first few months in your new role. Let's get started.