Learn how to master your narrative. The stories that we tell ourselves about ourselves influence our moods. Change the narrative by writing down the facts, thoughts, and feelings you experience.
- Your proposal wasn't accepted.…Your phone call wasn't returned.…Your boss didn't acknowledge you in the meeting.…You don't know why,…so fill in the blanks with your narrative.…You say, I'm just not smart enough.…Or, this always happens to me.…Or, this is all just a bunch of office politics.…You really don't know the facts, but here you are…making up a story.…There's a reason why we make up such stories.…Our brains seek to put closure to the unknown.…However, the story you tell yourself can affect your mood.…
Let's talk about how your narrative influences your mood.…And how to manage anger by mastering your narrative.…Sometimes a trigger event…or circumstance can make you feel angry.…Is it really the circumstance making you so angry?…Or, is it your anger…caused by your narrative?…Let me share a personal story to make the point.…Once, I met an executive named Deborah at a convention…and we had a great connection…and a couple of exploratory calls.…Then, for some reason…she wouldn't return my calls, or my emails.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Acknowledging an anger problem
- Using calming techniques
- Avoiding other people's issues
- Understanding your triggers and old behaviors
- Mastering your narrative and taking control
- Setting appropriate boundaries
- Making anger work for you