Effective change agents empathize with those being asked to change.
- Well, that was a disaster.…All this plan, all this planning…and all this conversation that we had and they had a fit.…We're trying to change a performance management system…we're not rewriting the Constitution.…They peppered me with questions.…John was saying, "Why do we have to have rankings?"…Someone else said, "Why do we even have to do this?"…I mean, in reality, this is something that management…asked us to do.…We have to go ahead and change this.…Why does it have to be so difficult?…- Maybe we should start towards the end of the meeting…when they started asking you all of those questions.…
- It's water under the bridge, I don't even know…if I can fix it. - I get that.…But, those same questions are likely to come up…again and again and again.…If we take some time, review your responses,…you may end up improving your whole communication effort.…So, I've been in enough meetings with you to know…that you probably did a great job of listening…to really understand, you don't interrupt people.…But I'm wondering, in this situation, if you needed to…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance