Conflict on teams is inevitable. How will you manage disagreements within your team? You'll handle conflict within your team better if you have a game plan for when it happens.
- There's always the possibility of conflict…when people come together.…So from time to time you should expect there…to be disagreements within your team.…And conflict isn't necessarily a bad thing.…In fact, healthy conflict can help improve…overall outcomes for your team.…When conflict arises, our first instinct…is either to run as far away from it as possible…or deal with it head on, taking out anyone…who gets in the way.…These are not productive ways to manage conflict.…It's best to determine how your team…will manage conflict before one actually arises.…
You can add these ground rules to your team charter.…There's a template and draft example…in the exercise files.…More productive ways to generally manage conflict…within your team are to accommodate,…compromise, and or collaborate.…A time we might accommodate would be…when a person feels strongly about something…that perhaps others on the team aren't…as concerned about.…In this case it's worth finding a solution…for that particular person because the stakes…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining roles and commitments
- Managing conflict
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Creating a shared vision and focusing on objectives
- Providing feedback
- Structuring time for reflection
- Holding teammates accountable
- Communicating in face-to-face and virtual meetings
- Communicating across job functions and across cultures