In this video, examine how business development professionals can help flesh out ideas generated by the CEOs and how they can also identify new opportunities that can accelerate growth, profitability, and the achievement of the larger vision.
- Some of the most successful CEOs…are great at business development,…they're deal-makers at heart,…and yet CEOs can't do all the deal making alone.…Business development professionals can be like…the CEO's mini-mes,…helping to flesh out those loosely defined ideas…generated by the CEOs.…They can also identify new opportunities…that will accelerate growth, profitability,…and the achievement of the larger vision.…Wherever you sit in the organization,…it's important to understand…how you fit into the big picture.…
Knowing how others see your value helps you both…to be more valuable…and to be able to make your case for more resources…or even a promotion.…Business development is no exception.…If you want to make an impact on your company,…be well-regarded by your peers…and get the resources you deserve…to build new, long-term business opportunities,…you'll need to think like a CEO.…What does the CEO want?…Well, most importantly, they want confidence…that the business is growing profitably,…and that the business has potential for more growth.…
Business development teams identify areas of opportunity: new products, new markets, new partnerships, and new distribution channels. It's critical to start with clear objectives. Are you using business development (BD) as a marketing tool, a sales channel, a source of innovation, or a corporate development hub? Management consultant Robbie Kellman Baxter shows you how the best BD professionals identify and build momentum for new initiatives. She also gives you the insight you need to launch a BD function in your organization, explains how to manage a BD team, and shares how to scale the BD function as your opportunities grow.
- Define business development.
- Explain the purpose of business development.
- Distinguish business development from other functions.
- Identify the skills and personality requirements for a business development role.
- Measure business development performance.
- List options for organizing a business development team.
- Describe how to make business development relevant at the C-level.