Another strategy for maintaining momentum is making your goals public and challenging yourself to meet them. CNN reporter Brian Stelter used his Twitter account to track his weight loss efforts, and the website Stickk.com allows you to make a public wager in which, if you don't meet your goal, you have to make a large donation to a charity you hate.
- When it comes to accomplishing your goals,…sometimes the answer is having one person,…an accountability partner, help encourage you,…but another alternative…is having the whole world encourage you.…It turns out that if you want to accomplish your goals,…sharing them publicly helps you do it.…In fact, one study showed…that dieters who shared their progress on Twitter…lost more weight than those who didn't post publicly.…That worked for Brain Stelter, a CNN reporter,…then at the New York Times,…that I profiled in my first book, Reinventing You.…Brian used Twitter to track his weight loss efforts.…
It kept him motivated and on-target,…because he might want to eat a donut,…but he certainly didn't want to tell the entire world…he ate a donut.…Another intriguing idea is to check out stickk.com,…that's S-T-I-C-K-K.com,…which was created by behavioral economists…at Yale University.…The site allows you to make a public wager…about accomplishing your bet,…and if you don't, you have to hand over the money…to your friend or to a charity you hate.…
- Setting your goals
- How many goals should you have?
- The difference between a goal and a to-do list
- Building systems to help you succeed
- Making success a way of life
- Learning to ignore the unimportant
- Rewarding yourself for success