Your organization's mission explains why the organization exists and how it contributes to the world around it. The type of culture you build is an enabler of accomplishing your mission. Leaders need to explain how the culture they're building is linked to the mission they're trying to accomplish every day. High-performance cultures stand for something. They represent an ideal or a goal that people can get behind. Sometimes it's defined by the organization's position relative to competitors.
- One critical thing you need to do is link your purpose…to your culture.…Your mission is your purpose, it explains why…the organization exists and how it contributes…to the world.…The culture you build is an enabler of accomplishing…your mission.…High performance cultures stand for something, the vision…and mission represent an ideal or a goal that people…can get behind.…Sometimes it's defined by your position relative…to competitors, or financial performance, those are okay…but they don't drive culture.…
Powerful visions and missions describe what you do…for customers.…They can even be about the organization's contribution…to society.…Leaders need to explain how the culture they're building…is linked to the mission they're trying to accomplish.…They need to define this calling for the organization.…Let's look at an example of how a vision and a mission…tie to a culture you're trying to build.…For my firm, we're a leadership development and training…firm, our mission is to advance the art of business…leadership through hands-on training and coaching led…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Components of high-performing cultures
- Assessing your current culture
- Defining high performance
- Creating a compelling vision and mission
- Tying strategy to culture
- Communicating the culture
- Building your teams and processes
- Highlighting culture moments
- Providing regular feedback