What are the right questions in a business development interview? Learn how to determine whether the candidate is right for business development in general and for your specific needs as well.
- Whether you're the interviewer or the interviewee,…a business development interview…is likely to be highly engaging.…In some ways, interviewing…a business development professional…is one of the easier interviews to conduct.…After all, so much of what makes…a business development professional successful…is their ability to think on their feet in the moment.…So, asking them questions about their career aspirations,…strengths or weaknesses might not be…as useful as in other roles.…An interviewer is going to want to start…by judging the level of energy…and engagement in the interview itself.…
Business development people are likely…to be good interviewers.…They should be great in the moment…in realtime conversations.…In contrast, for an engineering world,…the most important trait…is understanding their coding skills, past projects,…and ability to complete work on time.…None of those traits has anything to do…with their conversational skills.…In business development,…if the interviewer doesn't connect with the candidate,…
Business development teams identify areas of opportunity: new products, new markets, new partnerships, and new distribution channels. It's critical to start with clear objectives. Are you using business development (BD) as a marketing tool, a sales channel, a source of innovation, or a corporate development hub? Management consultant Robbie Kellman Baxter shows you how the best BD professionals identify and build momentum for new initiatives. She also gives you the insight you need to launch a BD function in your organization, explains how to manage a BD team, and shares how to scale the BD function as your opportunities grow.
- Define business development.
- Explain the purpose of business development.
- Distinguish business development from other functions.
- Identify the skills and personality requirements for a business development role.
- Measure business development performance.
- List options for organizing a business development team.
- Describe how to make business development relevant at the C-level.