Gain insights about the skills that play a pivotal role in finding and eliminating your blind spots. This video defines tangible versus intangible skills, explains why they matter, as well as how they relate to blind spots.
- Most companies hire people based on their tangible skills,…but they fire them based on their lack of intangible skills.…Think about that for a moment.…Tangible skills get you hired,…lack of intangible skills can get you fired.…We can only get so far in our careers…based on our credentials,…the tangible items we list on our resumes,…advance degrees, internships,…participation in industry organizations.…Unfortunately, many people believe that beefing up…that list of accomplishments is the key to getting noticed…and being considered for next level roles.…
The thought process goes something like this.…I can't understand why I get passed over…for the leadership role.…Maybe I need to start working on…an advanced certification or volunteer to coordinate…that next big team event.…The longer the list, the better, right?…If I'm going to get recognized and stand out from my peers,…I better start stockpiling my achievements.…As you've probably guessed,…that's just not the way it works.…At some point, the rules for success change.…
Instructor Sara Canaday dives into the nuances of blind spots, explaining why blind spots matter when it comes to career success, and which intangible skills can help you find and eliminate these roadblocks. Sara also covers ways to find and close the gaps between your perception of yourself and your reputation. She explores specific examples of leadership blind spots commonly seen in the business world and provides steps that you can take to mitigate your perception problems.
- Understanding blind spots
- Gaining insights about awareness skills
- Identifying and managing blind spots
- Getting clarity on how you see yourself
- Finding out how others see you
- Closing the gaps between your perception and your reputation
- Exploring specific examples of leadership blind spots
- Taking action to deal with your blind spots