Join John Ullmen for an in-depth discussion in this video Incorporating their perspective into yours, part of Communication.
- A consultant to a finance executive we'll call Tim,…from a large global tech service firm,…who's client opened a routine contract…renewal meeting, with this stunner:…"Do you think we should be paying…10,000 dollars per service phone call?"…Their math was correct, that year the client paid…two and a half million dollars for unlimited…service phone calls, but only used 250 of them.…The client usually accepted a small increase for inflation,…because they were happy with the service.…Not this time.…Caught off guard, Tim said, "we'll get back to you",…thinking the client would give them time…to update their proposal.…
Not so.…This abrupt meeting happened on a Friday.…On Monday, the client sent out a request for a proposal…inviting the tech firm's toughest…competitors to take their business.…Tim's easy meeting had become a nightmare.…He was in big trouble, his reputation was on the line.…But, as Tim tells the story, we could have avoided…it all by thinking of their perspective.…We thought everything was fine because…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Managing the intent-impact gap
- Designing the content of your message
- Improving vocal delivery
- Adjusting your body language
- Being politically savvy
- Listening to what's said, what's unsaid, and how it's said
- Increasing empathy and trust
- Overcoming anxiety<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Increasing the Positive Impact of Your Communication
2. Adapting to Your Audience
Being politically savvy4m 41s
3. Listening to Understand and Build Trust
4. Managing Common Communication Challenges
Next steps2m 45s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.