Ultimately, you want to be in a career perfectly suited to your most valuable strengths. Receive a quick walkthrough of how to identify if you are—or are not—in that kind of career, and what to do if you aren't.
- Sometimes there just isn't a match at all…between your strengths and your current job…and it doesn't seem like there's any way to make it fit.…Perhaps the organization you work for…doesn't have any roles that match…your unique set of strengths.…Perhaps you're a freelancer…and realize that you're not really suited…to the work you're currently doing.…What should you do then?…First, a general comment.…Be cautious of the tendency to confuse…job dissatisfaction with job mismatch.…
I've worked with many leaders who felt burnt out…and didn't want to be in their role anymore.…Then, when we dived deeper into the problem,…we find that there's a current situation…that's unusual and causing them to get burnt out,…not the job itself.…Once we resolved the situation,…their job satisfaction returned to high levels.…Career switches are only necessary…when our job is fundamentally misaligned with who we are.…
This is like when a shy person who's excellent with numbers…and should probably do accounting,…tries to go out and make sales…
- Identify the key differences between gifts, loves, and skills.
- Explore methods for discovering what you love to do.
- Identify your core skills through self-reflection and via feedback from others.
- Choose your strongest and most valuable work activities through ranking and rating.
- Identify the steps needed to invest in yourself and grow your strengths.
- Recall how to match your strengths to your responsibilities, and discover when to grow your current career versus switch to a new one.