- Reasons to develop IT strategy
- Defining an IT strategy
- Structuring an IT strategy
- Communicating strategy details
- Implementing an IT strategy
- Measuring the success of the strategy
- Prioritizing and reprioritizing IT projects
Skill Level Advanced
- If you're committed to developing in IT strategy, you're already ahead of most of your peers as information technology leaders. IT leaders have long been good executors, but they've often operated at the whim of the plans of the other divisions of the company. It's essential that IT leaders formulate, articulate, and execute on their own strategic plans. IT leaders must be great strategists and great executors. Once the strategy's formulated, is the job done? Far from it. In fact, the harder job's still in front of you. How will you implement that strategy? The fact that you set the direction with your strategy is essential, but what ideas can you connect with the plan? What projects should you pursue? And how will you prioritize those? I'm Peter High, the president of the CIO advisory for Metis Strategy.
For the last two decades, I've helped guide IT executives through this journey. In this course, I'll arm you with the techniques to turn your strategy into action. We'll review some aspects of strategic planning, and then quickly dive into the methods used to develop the ideas that will be the means by which you implement that strategy. I'll cover organizational considerations and roles to introduce, I'll highlight processes to employ. I'll also discuss how to develop a better ecosystem to try new ideas from. Lastly, I'll tell you how to make the adjustments to the plans and actions throughout the year so that your team is always working on the highest value ideas that will ensure that your strategy is accomplished.
Ideas and projects are the lifeblood of any IT organization, but given the limited time and resources that you have, choosing the best ones to ensure that IT is adding the highest value to your company is essential. I look forward to embarking on this journey together.