Join Simon T. Bailey for an in-depth discussion in this video Identifying mentors and sponsors, part of Building Business Relationships (2013).
Earlier in this course, I shared with you tips for finding a mentor.…Now, let's talk about finding a sponsor.…A sponsor is someone who believes in you, and can…help you advance to the next level in your career.…However, unlike a mentor, sponsor has the ability to speak…well of you to the people that have the hiring authority.…The sponsor is your personal brand representative in and…outside of the organization and can directly further your career.…
In my own development, I had a sponsor who was responsible for…building a bridge between me and the people that can make decisions.…Their influence became critical in receiving my…first leadership role in a Fortune 500 company.…Here is how you find a sponsor.…Seek someone two or three levels above in position.…Look for a person that has the expertise,…knowledge and relationships that matches your career goals.…
Seek someone who has different skill sets and…will sharpen what you bring to the table.…Find someone who will leverage their relationships with other leaders…
Discover how you can build meaningful rapport, set yourself up for visibility and success, manage up when you don't click, develop executive presence, and cross-train within a team to better serve the organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the four key business relationships
- Building relationships in person and virtually
- Supporting your manager's objectives
- Articulating your needs to your manager
- Managing up
- Communicating with difficult team members
- Resolving cross-department conflict
- Identifying mentors and sponsors
- Making first impressions with executives<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.