Squeaky wheels are effective at getting their work done. They just consume a lot of the leader's time in the process of completing their work. Many times this is due to a lack of confidence.
- Another type of high-cost producer…you might deal with is a squeaky wheel.…They're in the upper left corner of the Leadership Matrix…because they deliver great results,…but they take up a lot of your time and energy.…Squeaky wheels are very effective…at getting their work done.…They just consume a lot of a leader's time…in the process of completing their work.…Many times they're consuming this energy…because of their own lack of confidence.…They come to their leader frequently…with questions they can answer for themselves.…
They go to the leader for decisions…that they're capable of making on their own.…They drive great results,…but they demand a lot of leadership capital…because of their constant interruptions…or because they're outsourcing decisions to their leader.…There's some easy ways to spot a squeaky wheel.…First, they have strong skills…and they produce great results,…but they can seem to lack confidence.…A lot of times they're asking for help too frequently.…
They may come to you for permission…on a decision that they can make.…
- Recognize the Leadership Matrix and four ways to assess a team member's results.
- Classify performance patterns into the four quadrants of the leadership matrix.
- Select appropriate performance improvement techniques for eight performance patterns.
- Name the eight common performance patterns and recall how to identify them.
- Describe different ways to lead and motivate associates within the eight different performance patterns.
- Recognize the three major time allocation pitfalls that leaders face.