Learners will be able to identify the best channel of communication to accommodate a variety of variables.
- So I've been planning different communication events,…and probably you would agree with me…that email is a little too impersonal,…but what do you think the right channel would be?…How do I first kick off this communication?…- It's a great question,…there's no one right answer,…but there are some criteria…you probably ought to think about.…So for example, if a message about change…needs to get to people really quickly,…then email actually is a pretty good choice.…In your case you mentioned that there's still some input…onto how the final system will work,…so you might want to have some staff meetings…where there's a chance for give and take.…
Remember if you're ever dealing with legal issues…or personnel issues,…then it needs to be a one-on-one for the confidentiality.…- So what do you think of this?…What if I do an email to sort of do a heads-up,…we're going to talk about this big change in the meeting,…and then have the meeting to communicate…what's going to happen, and maybe why,…and then schedule a specific meeting to hash that out,…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance