Like a garden, discover the essentials for growing your learning, including support for learning, exposure to new ideas and topics, a love of what you’re learning, and the space in your busy schedule to learn.
- Sometimes people don't buy it when I tell them…that they have hidden skills and knowledges.…That's when I tell them that they're a garden,…a learning garden.…Your skills and your interests are like little seeds…with a lot of them still under the ground.…Even the ones that have grown still have roots…under the ground.…So we're often blind as to why we're so good at these skills…or know so much about this topic.…So if having a visual image of yourself…as a growing and changing person is helpful to you,…then you can think of learning in the same way.…
Now, in a real garden,…what does it take for seeds to thrive?…It takes four things: good soil, sunlight, water,…and enough space to grow.…A good gardener knows how to make sure all…of these are available to have a healthy garden.…And that's what seeds need to grow.…So what does it take for you to grow as a learner?…The soil is your environment.…Wherever you're given the chance to start experimenting…with the kinds of things you're interested in…and to find out if you enjoy doing them,…
- Identify effective motivations for learning.
- Explain how the brain is designed for learning.
- List factors that influence the need for lifelong learning.
- Describe different types of skills.
- Create inventories of what you have learned.