Learn how to separate personal friendships from the business of managing friends.
- When I first started managing my former peers,…I thought I'd be able to be their boss and their friend.…I was wrong.…I soon realized,…that I needed to separate personal relationships…from the business of managing friends.…I'm going to share with you,…some ways you can begin, the separation process.…Start by unfriending people.…Wait a minute, let me clarify that.…
I'm not suggesting you tell everyone who works for you…that you're no longer friends.…However, what I am suggesting,…is that you go onto Facebook and unfriend…those you are now supervising.…You'll want to do this for several reasons.…As you move up the corporate ladder,…you'll make friends, who have moved up as well.…Most likely you'll be making higher end purchases,…since you now have additional discretionary income.…
Your people don't need any of this rubbed in their face.…It's also easy to quickly jump to conclusions,…when viewing a friends Facebook page.…Suppose for example one of your friends,…who reports to you, calls in sick.…You're scrolling through your Facebook page,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- The first 90 days
- Building productive relationships
- Why engage your employees?
- Influencing employee commitment
- Managing your former peers
- How to go from friend to boss
- Developing the skills needed to be an effective manager
- Becoming a magnetic leader