Learn how to successfully shift their relationship from peer to boss.
- I wish I could say it was a happy day…when I went from peer to boss.…I'd be lying if I told you that was the case.…Not everyone was thrilled to see a 24 year old…achieve such high levels of success.…In retrospect, if I had done a better job…of managing my relationships with my former peers…as well as my new peers, they would have come…to my defense when my boss announced…he was replacing me.…
So let me tell you what to do so this…doesn't happen to you.…First, you need to tread lightly.…I know you're really excited…about taking the reins and putting your ideas into action.…Hold your horses.…Give your former peers time to get used…to the fact that you are no longer one of them.…In the meantime, lay the groundwork…for the transition.…Begin by meeting individually with team members.…
Share your thoughts regarding the direction…you'll be taking the team,…and don't forget to listen for any concerns…they may have regarding your new relationship.…Also, you'll need to establish your authority.…After you've given people time to get used…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Determining your boss's management style
- Pushing back and saying no when necessary
- Practicing self-promotion
- Making great impressions
- Avoiding pitfalls
- Building productive team relationships
- Establishing credibility
- Evaluating your team
- Building a team of all-stars
- Getting team members engages
- Managing your peers
- Being influential and staying sharp