How do you determine coachability? Learn three tips to determine the coachability of an employee. Learn how to look for a sense of ownership and the importance of observing emotions.
- "My best skill was that I was coachable.…"I was a sponge and aggressive to learn."…That's a quote from none other than Michael Jordan.…It's amazing to me that one of the most talented…and accomplished basketball players of all time…carried an attitude of being coachable.…It's an essential skill to high performance…and it's the key quality you're looking for…during your coaching conversation.…Why?…Because the truth is not all employees are coachable.…
So how do you determine whether someone is coachable?…Number one, listen more than talk.…Sometimes in these conversations,…managers can tend to talk a lot.…They feel compelled to tell the employee…everything they've been thinking and experiencing.…Probably because they've been holding it in for so long.…To find out if a person is coachable,…you have to ask good questions.…Let them talk and listen effectively.…
You're listening to learn…what they're thinking and how they think.…Number two, observe the level of acceptance or resistance.…As you're listening and asking questions,…
- Recognize the effects of four kinds of leadership weaknesses.
- Determine which questions would be most appropriate to include in an employee assessment framework.
- Identify the acronym used to guide coaching conversations.
- Recognize when to adopt the “people fire themselves” philosophy.
- Explain the benefits of clear boundaries or guidelines for a team’s behavior.