Learn how to convert a co-worker who appears to be an enemy, into a supporter of your role as boss.
- In an ideal world,…everyone that you work with is a supporter.…But the reality is some co-workers are more foe than friend,…yet you can convert an enemy co-worker into an ally.…And the first thing you need to do is…uncover why there's animosity.…Beating around the bush and pretending everything is fine…won't clear the air.…Instead, ask this person, "Hey, what gives?"…Talk to the person to find out what the problem is.…
Don't just guess or hope it will go away.…Another strategy to win them over is to ask for their help.…I used this approach with a co-worker…who clearly didn't care for me.…One day, I asked if she knew of…any good apartment complexes near work.…She gave me a few suggestions,…including the one she lived in.…I took her advice, and within weeks, we were neighbors.…We couldn't help but bump into one another.…
Now this former foe is one of my closest friends,…and we're still in touch today.…When you ask a foe for help,…you shift the dynamic and you signal to them…that you value their opinion.…You can also try to disarm them by apologizing.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Determining your boss's management style
- Pushing back and saying no when necessary
- Practicing self-promotion
- Making great impressions
- Avoiding pitfalls
- Building productive team relationships
- Establishing credibility
- Evaluating your team
- Building a team of all-stars
- Getting team members engages
- Managing your peers
- Being influential and staying sharp