What are the attributes of coachable people? As a manager/coach, learn how to evaluate whether someone is worth your coaching investment. Use a discovery questionnaire to evaluate which of your employees are coachable.
- As a manager-coach, time is your most precious resource.…So, if you're going to invest some of it,…I want to share the attributes of coachable people,…so you can decide where to focus your energy.…The first attribute is commitment to growth.…Now, these are people who love to learn.…They take responsibility for their lives and careers,…and they're willing to seek new edges.…The second attribute is receptivity.…Coachable people handle constructive criticism…without being defensive.…
They're self-aware.…And that awareness allows them to reflect on their behavior…and their impact on others,…and make course corrections.…The next attribute is openness.…Now, people who are open about themselves…are willing to reveal where they're stuck…and get real about the core of a problem,…even if they're at the center of it.…And the last attribute is perspective taking.…This is the ability to explore alternative ideas…and methods, and integrate them into new possibilities…and new action.…
So, now that you know the attributes of coachable people,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List three strategies to assess an individual for coachability.
- Identify the essential elements of a coaching contract.
- Recall the three levels of accountability.
- Distinguish among the three levels of listening.
- Summarize strategies for coaching a low-performance employee.
- Summarize strategies for coaching a high-performance employee.