Learn how to advance stuck negotiations. In this video, Elizabeth Robillard gives tips on how to step away, name what's happening, and consider small steps you can take to find agreement in a deadlocked negotiation.
- No matter how prepared you are to negotiate…sometimes the negotiation gets stuck.…You can't agree, you can't move forward,…you go round and round.…Preparation before the negotiation begins…can help unstick some matters,…but sometimes you and your boss are simply stuck.…Remember your BATNA,…your best alternative to a negotiated agreement.…If you really can't move forward,…you may need to think about your alternatives.…However, before giving up on this negotiation,…try some of these tips to advance stuck negotiations.…
First, take a step away from the bargaining table.…Sometimes you need a little perspective.…Take a break.…If you're in a meeting, call for a bathroom break,…or better yet, call for a timeout until a future date…where you can comeback refreshed.…You need time to figure out what's happening.…Where and why are you stalled?…Time can often give you a new perspective on the issue…and you can use that time to come up…with some new creative options to propose…that might move you forward.…Second, you can name what is happening.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- The importance of negotiation
- Avoiding common negotiation pitfalls
- Determining what you really want
- Gathering relevant information
- Understanding bargaining power
- Determining your best alternative
- Anchoring your negotiation with options
- Making mutually beneficial agreements
- Anticipating responses
- Getting negotiations started
- Asking good questions